Today I have been lazy, and did not leave the apartment for any reason. Tomorrow I will go into the office, and it will be a long day, most likely. I decided to just get it over with and call her today instead of tomorrow. When I spoke to her last a couple of days ago she was on her 'psychic' kick again, morosely intoning things like "I feel like something is about to happen. I just HATE feeling like that! I do not know what, but SOMETHING is bad is about to happen!"
Okay. Right. Talk to you later... So I brace for this call. And I know that I must seem to be the most unsympathetic person ever, but this is not a normal relationship or interaction. Ever.
So I call. And she immediately comments on me 'not doing anything for a couple of days when all [I] do is run..." I reminded her that I had guests in... again, choosing to ignore the fact that I know she writes anything I tell her on her wall calendar... things like vacation dates, people visiting, etc. She complains about the weather, goes on about the neighbors social activities, and talks about how it is so much effort to wash her hair. YUK. I think I might escape this call when she intones the morose soothsayer voice and says- "Well, you know how I had a bad feeling something was going to happen? Well it did." I was watching my stopwatch on my iPad to see how long she would make the dramatic pause... 32 seconds. "Ralphie is DEAD."
She went into the story, and her stories have a formulaic quality... all of them. She weaves so many tangents and details in to any story that it is difficult to follow.
- She tries to build drama to finish with a climatic ending
- She focuses on what she thought, and her incorrect medical assumption
- She gave the cat a cat laxative (he cannot pee!) and sat and watched him all night instead of calling the emergency vet
- Finally at 8 am she starts calling vet offices
- She talks about all those who failed her by not answering their phone at veterinary offices or the emergency vet- and she did not leave a message at any of them
- She knew her vet was in until 3pm, and the cat is straining so hard to pee that he is drooling and the inner lid is showing and since she got the voice mail she called the humane society who told her to do the # 9 thing to get a human
- She did, and took the cat over at 1pm