No matter what stage the hoard is on the clutter scale, most COHs refer to the type of hoard. Many of the hoards you see on the reality television shows are wet/dirty hoards. There is significant vermin and garbage in the hoard, and often animal or human waste in very severe hoards. My mother's hoard historically has been a dry/clean hoard. Do not get me wrong. Her house STINKS. It is dangerous to anyone going in from a respiratory/health standpoint.
A quick rewind, if you will, to when I was at her house the last time, which was July 2011. This was the first time in over 10 years, and it was hugely hoarded to levels often towering over my head with goat paths, but for the most part it was a dry hoard. I gagged going in, and the refrigerator was full of nastiness, etc... and I got deathly sick. Fast forward to last month, and I was in the hoard-mobile and got sick again. Now, if you have read this blog and saw the mid-March entry, she found a turd downstairs. And it was not from her cats... She first decided that it was snake poo and then decided here in the last couple of weeks that it is skunk poo. And she believes her hated neighbor broke into her house and left it there.
Fast forward to this week. Her paranoia continues to feed on her narcissism, her negativity and her abject and self inflicted misery. As many folks who hoard do, she has long monologues about minutia of normal living. Long side expiditions into the world of 'no-one-gives-a-royal-#$&%'. This time she took over 10 minutes to describe her extreme caution in bringing produce into her house. She will tell you will a straight face that there is not one insect in her house. If you believe that, I have a lovely used car with 165K that I will sell you that is LIKE NEW for what I paid for it 5 years ago! <Oh... I digress...> Anyway, as I was about terminate the call, she finally gets to the issue. She found a roach in her kitchen. She just KNOWS that it came in on the two bananas she bought a few days prior and went through her 'process'.
Now... I realize it is possible that happened, but very unlikely. I would be more likely to believe that the roach come from one of the following:
- How any roach and his or her friends enter any home since it is in essence Roach Nirvana
- That some of the paper bags, cardboard boxes, or umpteen year old dry goods hatched roach eggs finally
- The same route or reason the poo was in her basement ... (wait... is that technically the same as the first point?)
- It caught a ride in on any of the other 5 million items she carries into the house weekly from warehouse retailers, big box retailers, the pet store, etc.
- She now wears continence pants after a couple of incidents of soiling herself without knowing it (????) in public. Apparently pissing herself repeatedly did not prompt Depends usage. But a series of sharts or worse did. Ugh.
- She has walked very laboriously and with a cane since last July. This has resulted in her being even more sedentary and immobile than she was. For example, she is now feeding the 6 cats their canned food in a communal bowl making them 'take turns'... whatever that means.